Media Arts & Design
The MAD programme aims at preparing students to pursue creative excellence in a rich variety of professions, including, but not limited to, visual artists, digital artists, interactive designers, web designers, etc. Through rigorous visual arts, media and design training coupled with interdisciplinary collaborations, trans-media experimentations, and exchange activities, the MAD programme will give students a strong motive to develop beyond their comfort zones and explore the boundaries of their knowledge and abilities.
The ultimate goal of the MAD programme is to train its graduates to be the “conveyer” or “communicator” of messages to fulfil the need of national policy in regards to innovation. The objectives of the programme are:
- To provide students with the fundamental knowledge and skills required for creating work of media arts and design.
- To nurture future professional visual artists, digital artists and designers.
- To educate future art historians and museum specialists with a global perspective on the media arts.
While the provision of the MAD programme is a new development in UIC, majority of graduates of similar programmes in other institutions have secured employment in design companies, film companies, web companies, animation companies, production houses, museums, galleries, art houses, and other employment areas directly related to the creative industries. As aforementioned, the MAD programme aims at preparing students to develop their careers in a rich array of professions as:
- Artists (painter, sculptor, digital artists, sound artists, etc.)
- Designers (product designer, web designer, commercial designer, etc.)
- Art administrator (museum, gallery staff )
- Art agent
Moreover, graduates of the MAD programme can also pursue postgraduate studies in different areas, for example:
- Digital production
- Animation and motion design
- Interdisciplinary projects & performance
- Interactive arts
- Audio-visual design
- Product design